Firestop Products For Industrial Use
Firestop products for industrial use are often called passive fire protection, not because they are actually “passive,” but because they are always in place and working. Passive fire protection is effective at containing fires at the point of origin. Benefits include compartmentalization of the fire and preventing a building collapse. When industrial passive fire protection is in place, it can save lives, assets and the building.
Industrial Firestop Solutions
Passive firestop solutions add an extra layer of protection to industrial settings. They are designed to be complementary to active fire protection products like smoke detectors, sprinkler systems and fire extinguishers. Passive fire protection applications include putty pads, caulking and firestop pillows to prevent or slow the spread of fire, toxic gas or smoke in both light and heavy industrial facilities. They may be added after construction, or working alongside engineers, they may be included in the construction phase. Protect sensitive clean rooms and other critical site components like electricity circuitry and process and control rooms.
Industrial level firestopping or firestop products for industrial are useful for limiting a commercial fire and keeping it from penetrating through fire barriers. Minor alterations to a building can often spark a fire that penetrates fire barriers unless firestopping products are in place. Plumbers, electricians, and engineers often leave hidden holes in barriers when they are working on the premises leaving the building vulnerable. Fireproofing slows down the spread of a fire and can offer three critical benefits if there is a fire:
- Time for the occupants to exit the building
- Adequate time for fire fighters to access the affected area
- Maintaining the structural stability of the building
There are numerous passive fire protection products designed to help prevent fire, toxic gas or smoke from spreading throughout industrial facilities.
Fireproofing Products for Industries
- Intumescent UL Firestop Pillows are installed by stacking and compressing them into openings. They are beneficial for openings of medium to large size openings. Pack them around cables, bus ducts, conduits and tubing.
- Firestop Putty Pads are used to seal the area around electrical boxes to protect the integrity of walls.
- Intumescent Firestop Caulk is used as a sealant in industrial settings to seal areas around metal pipes, ductwork, and tubing.
- Fire Retardant spray for exterior wood is available in 5-gallon and 55-gallon drums and can provide fire retardation for as long as five years. It forms a molecular bond and doesn’t alter the integrity of the wood.
- Fire retardant spray for interior wood surfaces is available in 5-gallon pails and 55-gallon drums and can be used for industrial settings. Interior wood surfaces are treated by spraying with low-pressure equipment for an effective flame retardant.
- Fire retardant spray for fabric is applied to materials such as carpets, walls, curtains or other fabric surfaces in the industrial setting to prevent fire from moving from one area to another.